The research project InDEED started on 01.04.2020 and will run until September 2023. Together with the two research partners, the University of Bayreuth and the Stiftung Umweltenergierecht, the FfE is pursuing the project goal of both practically implementing and scientifically evaluating the concept of a distributed data platform for energy industry use cases.
Blockchain technology is to be used for the distributed database structure due to its mechanisms for ensuring resistance to manipulation. In this way, platforms can be realized that are equally accessible to all players, which means that data-based value creation is not left to individual players with a dominant market position. The project focuses primarily on analyses of potentials, system repercussions, changed value creation structures and scalability.
Project content and structure
The project focuses on the two fields of application “Labeling of Energy Flows” and “Asset Logging”, which were identified in the previous FfE project B10X. For this purpose, plants and end consumers in the real environment are connected to a platform to be developed in cooperation with the project partners and the results are evaluated in scientific analyses. Through practical implementation, experience, data and results can be generated with as many heterogeneous participants, technologies and use cases as possible.
In the project, the term “Asset Logging” describes the collection of operating, maintenance and servicing data from (energy industry) plants by means of measuring systems, testing bodies or other appropriate sources. The tamper-proof and time-discrete storage and processing of the recorded data of individual assets enables a variety of use cases. The term “Labeling” covers the unambiguous, transparent and tamper-proof digital mapping of feed-in, withdrawal and storage, as well as their temporal and spatial linkage, taking into account physical boundary conditions. Possible use cases for the two fields of application are shown as examples in the following diagram.
The project focuses on the development of methods and models aimed at answering among others the following selected research questions:
- Which use cases from the application fields “labeling” and “asset logging” can be realized on the platform?
- How can the theoretical, technical, economic and practical potential of the use cases in Germany be assessed?
- What are the requirements of the energy industry for an energy data platform based on blockchain technology?
- In what ways will digital platforms change value creation in the energy industry?
- Which practical hurdles hamper an implementation? What action recommendations can be derived from this?
- What are the requirements and challenges for the programming implementation and scalability of the platform? (worked on by the University of Bayreuth)
- How can the platform be scaled? (worked on by the University of Bayreuth)
- What is the legal framework for platform-based applications in the energy sector and which possible obstacles as well as potential courses of action can be identified for the considered use cases? (worked on by the the Stiftung Umweltenergierecht)
Figure 2 shows the five subprojects into which the project is divided:
The project InDEED is based on a transdisciplinary research approach from the energy industry, information technology as well as law and regulation. The consortium consists of research partners with different focal points (FfE, University of Bayreuth and Stiftung Umweltenergierecht). Furthermore, associated partners with different competencies and focuses along the entire energy industry value chain are involved in the project and support the project through financial contributions, expert knowledge and in field implementation.
- Die Blockchain – Chance zur Transformation der Energiewirtschaft?
- Blockchain in the Energy Industry – Comprehensive Analysis of Potential Use Cases
- Neue Studie: Anwendungsfälle der Blockchain-Technologie in der Energiewirtschaft
- Blockchain technology as an enabler for decentralization in the energy system