PEAK – Integrated Platform for Peer-to-Peer Energy Trading and Active Network Management
At the beginning of March 2021, the joint research project “Integrated Platform for Peer-to-Peer Energy Trading and Active Grid Management” (PEAK) started at FfE. A prototype of an integrated platform for peer-to-peer (P2P) power trading and active grid management with market-based use of flexibilities (PEAK platform) is being developed within the PEAK project. Besides the FfE, the project partners include Helmut Schmidt University of Hamburg (consortium leader), Bergische University of Wuppertal, Hamburg University of Applied Sciences, PSI GridConnect GmbH, PSI Energy Markets GmbH, and the University of Duisburg-Essen. Together, they are working on the development method for such platforms and analyses on technology potentials, techno-economic aspects, standardization potentials, and regulatory framework conditions.
FfE subproject: Energy economic analysis and conception
The goal of the FfE within the project is the scientific support of the project from an energy economic point of view. The activities will focus on fundamental analyses and requirements elicitation for P2P market design, blockchain, and SMGW integration, as well as the methodological development of a functional market design. The potentially added value through decentralization will also be evaluated. Furthermore, the FfE’s tasks include the development and analysis of criteria for the evaluation of the PEAK platform approach, a concept comparison to the status quo, and alternative solution approaches. Relevant research questions are:
- Which stakeholders are involved in the PEAK platform?
- What requirements do stakeholders, the market, and the energy system have for an integrated platform?
- How can the platform be reconciled with the existing SMGW infrastructure?
- What P2P market designs are available, and how can grid constraints be integrated into them?
- How can different market designs be compared methodically?
- Which method can be used to identify decentralization potentials and evaluate their added value?
- What are the energy industry restrictions and regulatory barriers to the PEAK platform?
- How can the potential of nationwide implementation of the PEAK platform be identified and analyzed regionally?